Sunday, January 22, 2012

#1. Part II: Empowerment


Most people enjoy the thought of being a stereotypical leader – the power, title, and recognition. Who wouldn’t want to tell others what to do while you get to do nothing? Far different than the typical thought of what a “leader” is, there is a distinct breed of authentic leaders that have the primary goals of promoting hope, trust, and positive emotions.

When I take a look at my own leadership style, I first realize how much it has changed throughout middle school to now. Within the past few years, my authoritarian style has given way to a much more passive and considerate attitude for those around me. I think this empathy was born after a series of hiccups at the end of high school. I have always been an ambitious, determined person, and that has not faltered through those times. I would describe myself as being very full of hope and a having positive outlook for the future. I am usually the person that those close to me turn to when they need built up or are going through a difficult time. There’s this genuine quality I see in people that everyone is capable of doing great things; they just may need a little push or confidence to pursue it. There is a quote that has remained as the desktop on my computer for the last six months:

Don't be afraid to give up the good to go for the great.
John D. Rockefeller

I don’t believe in settling, and I don’t think others should accept averageness either. It drives me crazy to listen to someone giving up on what they want, just because they hit a little bump in the road! My dad has always told me that life isn’t about falling, but how you get back up. View these setbacks just as hurdles along the way that will inevitably make you stronger and success more rewarding. Reflect on these hurdles so that growth may occur, but don’t let them ever hold you back. Next time, maybe more informed decisions will be made, or now it is known what doesn’t work to solve a problem. Either way – grow from it, use it as a tool, and move on to the upcoming ventures. Even if things go off without a hitch, it is still important to reflect and understand why they worked out well. Improvement can always be made, and successful objectives can always be more efficient. And guess what? This experience gained can’t only be stored in your personal toolshed, but it can then be used to encourage others when they are going through a similar situation.

One of my favorite ways to lead is through the empowerment of other people in the group. When members feel purpose and inclusion, they are more likely to participate and put forth effort in whatever they are doing. This can be done through both encouragement and listening. An effective leader is able to listen to others and is not afraid to implement others’ ideas if they pose a more efficient solution to a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment