Sunday, February 5, 2012

#3. I'm A What??


This week, we were asked to take the Jung Typology test online. After I finished taking the test, the results profiled me as a 4-letter type with corresponding “core functions.” Okay, so what does this mean? Apparently I am an INFJ.

The “I” means that I am slightly introverted – which was no surprise to me. I do enjoy interacting with groups of people, but I can find it exhausting; I need time alone to recharge and reflect. According to the book, I prefer to think things through and reflect before forming or stating opinions, and this does not mean that I am a shy person. That is an excellent description of me. I definitely over-analyze anything I plan to say in front of people. This analysis has gone as far as causing me to break out in hives during public speaking and high-stress situations because I fear making a mistake.

I am also moderately intuiting, designated by the “N.” This means that I prefer to see the big picture, and I often approach situations with the attitude of “there has to be a better way.” With this projection into the future, this closely correlates to my issues of over-analyzing and need for reflection. My tennis instructor, whom I spent many hours taking lessons from, used to always tell me, “Don’t fix what’s not broken.” I had a strong backhand stroke, and he always encouraged me to leave it alone and focus on perfecting other techniques. I mean I listened to him, but I didn’t really understand that approach until the book explained that this view is the opposite of mine.

The next letter in my 4-letter profile is “F,” a moderately feeling-type. This type is the account for relationships and the importance of human values and beliefs. There is also an emphasis on personal relationships. This makes perfect sense to me. My relationships with others come before almost all other priorities in my life, because relating to the big picture (i.e. “N”), I feel like without friends and family, life would be pretty empty. Last week I even noticed myself becoming infuriated with a friend of mine because she did not feel the same way. For other people success can be the foremost priority, but I just don’t understand them.

Finally, my “J” represents moderately judging preferences. I prefer order and emphasize resolving issues and making decisions to create order. I like tying the loose ends of a project and seeking closure. It gives me piece of mind to have a clear-cut beginning, deadline, and end. It drives me CRAZY when I’m trying to arrange plans with someone and they are able to give me nothing on a day/time that works for them. I need to know what is going on… Unfortunately, this also means that others may perceive me as being close-minded or driven. I’ve actually even been told this before. I think this is balanced out my “feeling,” however. I am not a close-minded or judgmental person whatsoever, I just like to know where I’m headed!


I came across an article online that described the stresses that Idealists (that’s what I am – an INFJ) can encounter. Since we are Idealists, when we lose hope, it is easy to become stressed – which affects us to the point of muscle or sensory problems… This can explain why after my first midterm I was so distraught that I had difficulties finding my way home… 


Famous INFJs include Mother Teresa, Martin Luther King, Jr., Nelson Mandela, and two presidents. I felt that this was very appropriate, considering that I am interested in pursuing similar type of work.

Although there are fewer restrictions, I felt that the Briggs-Meyers test was more accurate than the StrengthsQuest. (I also took the StrengthsQuest while sick and exhausted, so that may have also had an impact on my responses… I took the same Briggs-Meyers assessment last year and had a very similar response. The difference? I am less introverted. This corresponds closely to the growth that I’ve noticed while being here, so I would say that it is a pretty spot on reflection!


A genuine leader is not a searcher for consensus but a molder of consensus.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment